Not in verse

A place for poetry, not in verse but from the heart.

Name:

I am a mother, a reader, a writer, and a Coeliac. On Twitter I'm @zucchinibikini; at The Shake I'm the Resident Book Nerd. I don't do The Facebook, so don't bother looking for me there. On my own blogs I write about books, children, love, feminism, gluten free cooking and things that make me cross, with a light dusting of poetry.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

For A, 6 months old

You open your mouth in a delicate yawn. Your mouth
is shell-pink and prickled with tiny budding teeth
You reach your arms to me, and I swoop down to you
bundling you in a laughing embrace, and I think - I love you.

You talk to your dolly, earnestly explaining
the mysteries you see around you. So much to learn
to feel, to touch, to taste, to absorb
I am caught in the wonder of your wonder, rapt in the excellence of your newness
proud of your exploration, proud of your selfhood
I look at you and I think - You have blessed me.

The rain falls softly outside and we play inside, safe, dry,
You inch forward, your knees determinedly rocking, hands pushing
With effort and courage you move, and I watch
and think - it is so soon for you to be moving
still towards me, always towards me
Fates whisper at the glass
This too shall pass

but for now, I hold you near,
I hold you warm and close
I enfold you in the best of me
so tiny a person, yet larger than the darkling sky
your potential, your future,
and my love.

- 8 February 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home