Not in verse

A place for poetry, not in verse but from the heart.

Name:

I am a mother, a reader, a writer, and a Coeliac. On Twitter I'm @zucchinibikini; at The Shake I'm the Resident Book Nerd. I don't do The Facebook, so don't bother looking for me there. On my own blogs I write about books, children, love, feminism, gluten free cooking and things that make me cross, with a light dusting of poetry.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pregnant

Every day I grow rounder. I would say "fatter"
but that would not be right. I stay myself
and the moon of my abdomen rises. Every day
my passenger makes a greater showing
whispers replaced with taps
brushes with firm squeezes
I feel the roll of this tiny body-in-my-body as it turns, suspended in the living water
that, somehow, fills my womb. (I still find it astounding
that this should be so. that so many mechanisms
should come together to create a space for life to begin
within my body, mine.
I never thought of it as remarkable before these showings,
once, twice, now three times,
of generative force).

Every day that passes
The pregnancy of this pause grows deeper
the tiny becomes weightier, small organs begin
to fulfill their functions. Every day
and week and month
strengthening, fattening, preparing for the outerworld
which is not warm, or quiet, or safe
nor aquatic - the end of waterdancing

And I the vessel, and the participant
in this voyage from the seed to the cry
full and fuller with child
deep and deeper engrossed with the motion of the life to come
winding tendrils of my heart into these shakes and quakes
growing space in my mind for the love that's already seizing me
inexorably
as the child
this child
my child
grows, and is more, and prepares
to walk in the world of women and men.

- Kathy, 31/10/08

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

hi kathy thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment!

ps - lovely poetry :) - i like "a night lovesong"

Tuesday, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Christie - Childhood 101 said...

What a powerful piece. I remember that sense of wonder that my body could create and grow a life.

Christie

Wednesday, September 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home